Saturday, August 1, 2009

Happy Confideration day :)





Its been quite some time since I posted. From where I last left, I have been extensively working as well as touring as my advisor here is on vacation for a couple of weeks and I had to finish stuffs before he left. I would be seeing him in my last week here. I also decided to take a week off and go for some hiking with my friend who was visiting me here. We went to the bernese oberland region for 2 days where we hiked from first (took a cable car from grindelwald upto first) to a beautiful lake. We also went up the Jungfrao and from there to lauterbrunnen. We hiked to the famous Trümmelbach Falls and on our way found tons of beautiful waterfalls cascading down the mountains.This natural wonder is accessible by means of an elevator, galleries, tunnels, trails, and platforms. Once inside, one can admire the melting snow waters of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau that come crashing down thunderously. 20,000 liters of water come falling down per second. The canyon is shiny and wet and polished to a satin finish by the continuously falling water.
The other trip was to appenzell and st. gallen. From appenzell we took a train to Wasserauen and then hiked upto lake seelpse, a beautiful glacial lake with echos of cow bells and the mighty lush green mountains around. It was an awe-inspiring sight. St Gallen houses the Abbey of St. Gall, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its renowned library contains books which date to the 9th century. Another exciting trip was to CERN where I was given a demonstration of the ATLAS project. I was stunned by the scientists there and their work. I almost regretted not having chosen physics as my discipline. In the couple of weekends before this I successfully paraglided in Zermatt and visited Lucern. A couple of days before, I met my other thinkswiss colleagues at Bern and this was my 3rd visit to Bern-the city I would love to go back again and again. It was a great day and I am so grateful to thinkswiss for arranging such an awesome trip.
I have plans of visiting the vineyards outside Lausanne and going for the confideration day fireworks tonight.

No comments: