Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chilling in Zurich, and London Calling...

Last, last weekend I spent in Zurich. I took the boat ride on the lake for the second time, this time with my friend from Geneva, and I was surprised to see that a giant show-screen had been erected in the lake just offshore, and stands were put up in front of it, also offshore. I realized that was the actual beginning of "soccer fever" coming to Zurich, and could hardly believe that the city went through that much trouble just to show the games. Looked like some of the tram lines would also be closed, and they would make way for street vendors. So quite a party was expected.

We also went the local art-museum, Kunsthaus, that I pass on my way to work everyday but never actually went inside. There were a lot of strange, modern artworks as well as a lot of classical work. I also visited a biergarten for the first time in a German-speaking country, and that was interesting to see the older folks dancing to what I honestly thought was some pretty horrible music. As I watched I had a huge plate of some kind of wurst with fries, but I didn't partake in the serious drinking since I'm a wimp when it comes to chugging beer.

This past weekend, I visited London, because I've never been to the UK before and a friend of mine is there with his family. Not much Swiss-happenings there... in contrast to the Swiss the Brits seem almost in denial of a Euro Cup even existing this year, due to their non-participation. I did however stay near an Underground station called "Swiss Cottage", named after a noted pub in the area. So that's my Swiss exposure for the weekend...

No comments: