Saturday, July 12, 2008

over 4 weeks...

Hello All,

Here I am again, with completing almost 4 weeks in Basel.The weeks were very exciting with euro cup coming to an end.....

In these 4 weeks I met Niko, the professor that I will be working with. He introduced me to the other members of the group . It was very exciting. I had many many meeting , discussing the different aspects of the problem that we will be working on. Discussed various dimensions of the problems, the kind of final solution that we wanted and the way to progress.It was interesting and the discussions were different as compared to the group that I work in UIC. The reason of this is also the interdispiclenary kind of research that involves various people.
The work environment is very good, though a bit different from US. In Chicago, me for example, I go to the lab around 1030 or 1100 and leave late, 8 or 9 pm depending on the work load. But here at ETH, I find people coming in early, like at 8 or something and then they take alot of breaks(tea coffee lunch etc).I guess, the working hours boils down to same, but it is fun to work like this as well :)..

They assigned me a office where I could work, and the nice IT people did setup a very nice desktop for me.It is apple mac and the screen is bigger than what I have in Chicago :D..They also very nicely explaned me the working of the systems and printing etc.

The weekend, I spent with some families and friends. The host had arranged very nice bar b que chicken and beef 'kabob' with fresh bread(which was really tasty). Spent most of the saturday with these friends, talking chatting, and ofcourse eating..(I ate alot :D)..Most of the sundays were spent, chatting with friends online and sleeping....
I did go around to see some of the places in basel.Few pics that might interest every one....I will take some more of these.....
I am happy to be here, and am really glad that the jet-lag is finally over.The work place is very good and I plan to go swimming this week with my collegues. Now that is gonna be fun. Just for the record, I never swam in the river before ;) ..and It is getting hot and is killing me...with no airconditioning in the building :(

No comments: